Other Organizations Activity
A number of committee activities from other professional organizations are addressing the recommended use and specification of FRP composites. Many organizations have published codes, standards, test methods and specifications for FRP composites and their products for the respective products. Below is a review of those standards.
American Concrete Institute (ACI)
The American Concrete Institute and its Committee 440 address FRP composites in concrete for rebar, tendons external strengthening, structural stay-in-place formwork, and has developed curriculum for the professional.
To obtain a copy of the documents below, visit ACI publications at www.concrete.org
- 440R-07: Report on Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Reinforcement for Concrete Structures
- 440.3R-04: Guide Test Methods for Fiber-Reinforced Polymers (FRPs) for Reinforcing or Strengthening Concrete Structures
ACI Design Guides
- 440.1R-06: Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars
- 440.2R-08: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures
- 440.4R-04: Prestressing Concrete Structures with FRP Tendons
- 440.7R-10: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Systems for Strengthening Unreinforced Masonry Structures
- 440.5-08: Specification for Construction with Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcing Bars [440.5M-08 (Metric)]
- 440.6-08: Specification for Carbon and Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Bar Materials for Concrete Reinforcement [440.6M-08 (Metric)]
American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
AASHTO, through the Bridges and Structures Subcommittee, T-6 (FRP Composites) has published new design guides for the bridge engineer.
To obtain a copy, visit AASHTO publications at https://bookstore.transportation.org, reference bridges and structures.
- Guide Specifications for Design of FRP Pedestrian Bridges, 1st Edition, 2008 - These Guide Specifications shall apply to fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composite bridges intended to carry primarily pedestrian and/or bicycle traffic.
- LRFD Bridge Design Guide Specifications for GFRP Reinforced Concrete Decks and Traffic Railings, 2010 - These guide specifications offer a description of the unique material properties of GFRP composite materials as well as provisions for the design and construction of concrete bridge decks and railings reinforced with GFRP reinforcing bars.
- Guide Specifications for Design of Bonded FRP Systems for Repair and Strengthening of Concrete Bridge Elements, 1st Edition - These guide specifications are intended for the repair and strengthening of reinforced and pre-stressed highway bridge structures using externally bonded fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composite systems. They supplement the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications.
- AASHTO LRFD Guide Specifications for Design of Concrete-Filled FRP Tubes, 1st Edition - These specifications present provisions for the analysis and design of concrete-filled fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) tubes (CFFT) for use as structural components in bridges. Design methodology presented in this specification allows CFFTs to be designed as flexural members, axial compression members, or members subjected to combined flexural and axial compression in addition to shear. CFFT bridge components may include beams, arches, columns, and piles.
Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
- CAN/CSA-S6-06 2006 Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code is indispensable to the professional engineer charged with the responsibility of designing, evaluating and rehabilitating highway bridges in Canada. The new code incorporates the most current research findings, especially in the areas of application of Fibre Reinforced Polymers (FRPs).
- S807-10 - Specification for fibre-reinforced polymers - This Standard covers the manufacturing process requirements of fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) bars or bars that are part of a grid for use in non-prestressed internal reinforcement of concrete components of structures (e.g., bridges, buildings, and marine structures).
To obtain a copy, visit www.csa.ca/products/construction/Default.asp?articleID=8868&language=english
ASTM Committee D30 developed a number of test methods for FRP bars used in concrete reinforcement. The published test methods are as follows:
- ASTM D7205 / D7205M - 11 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite Bars
- ASTM D7337 / D7337M - 07 Standard Test Method for Tensile Creep Rupture of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite Bars
- ASTM D7522 – 09 Standard Test Method for Pull-Off Strength for FRP Bonded to Concrete Substrate
- ASTM D7565 – 09 Standard Test Method for Determining Tensile Properties of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composites Used for Strengthening of Civil Structures
- ASTM D7616 – 11 Method For Determining Apparent Overlap Splice Shear Strength Properties Of Wet Lay-Up Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composites Used For Strengthening Civil Structures
- ASTM D7617 / D7617 – 11 Standard Test Method for Transverse Shear Strength of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite Bars
- ASTM D7705 / D7705M – 12 Standard Test Method for Alkali Resistance of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Matrix Composite Bars Used in Concrete Construction
Test Methods Related to Design Standards
- ASTM D7290 – 11 Standard Practice for Evaluating Material Property Characteristic Values for Polymeric Composites for Civil Engineering Structural Applications
Other Test Methods Related to Composites can be referenced at http://www.astm.org/Standards/composite-standards.html