Specialty Industry Committees
ACMA’s Composites Growth Initiative (CGI) works to promote and expand the use and understanding of composites in a variety of market segments. The Committees of the CGI are the association’s industry specialty groups that work under the CGI umbrella to:
- identify market-specific challenges
- develop market-oriented services
- address technical and regulatory needs
- coordinates the advocacy, communications, education and technical support required for various projects
- development of (or action on) relevant codes, standards, specifications
The Committees of the CGI represent leading composites markets, manufacturing processes, or products. Corporate members in each group work together to focus on specific projects to expand markets for composites as they compete against traditional materials. Through development of standards, outreach with the academic community, and promotion to end users, these groups are helping ACMA grow the composites industry.
- Architectural Division – The mission of this committee is to promote the use and understanding of architectural fiberglass reinforced polymer products use in interior and exterior construction applications. The Division has published “Guidelines and Recommended Practices for Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Architectural Products” for architects and specifiers. Members work together to address building codes and specifications for composites. The Division also educates architects and specifiers with industry articles on product advancements in the industry.
- Automotive Composites Alliance – The mission of this committee is to serve as the composite industry's experts with automotive and heavy truck industry customers and the media. Since 1988, ACA has represented FRP composite manufacturers and material suppliers who actively promote the benefits and use of thermoset composites for the automotive and truck industries. The ACA member network provides technical benchmarking information and industry statistics and helping member companies sell composites in the automotive and transportation markets.
- Corrosion Control Division – The mission of this committee is to promote the use of FRP composites technology and products for corrosion-resistant industrial applications. The Division informs and educates the corrosion fabricator on issues relating to quality, production, safety, and regulations of importance in the corrosion segment of the composites industry.
- Fiberglass Grating Manufacturers Council – The mission of this committee is to develop, maintain and promote the use of consensus design standards, promote and accelerate the use of fiberglass grating specifications among architects, engineers, designers, specifiers and others, act as the leading source of information on composite gratings in the U.S. and throughout the world and, develop technical and other information to educate and assist architects, engineers, designers, specifiers and other potential users of composite grating.
- FRP Rebar Manufacturers Council – The mission of this committee is to promote the use and growth of FRP reinforcement (rebar, tendons & grids) in concrete and masonry applications through development of quality procedures, industry specifications, performance standards, and field application guidelines.
- Green Composites Committee – The mission of this committee is to nurture and expand the role of composites in sustainable (i.e. environmentally friendly or “green”) development including initiatives that enable composite manufacturers to: understand what “green” (sustainability) means to their customers, understand the aspects of their products that affect sustainability, achieve greater sustainability - make their products greener, and aggressively promote such green composites to the market.
- High Performance Council – The mission of the HPC is a forum for companies who are manufacturers, material suppliers, distributors, and consultants in the composites industry to network with other companies in this market sector, to work on educational, regulatory and legislative issues, and grow their business opportunities into a variety of markets where high performance composites is used
- Pultrusion Industry Council – The mission of this committee is to foster continuous improvement in the design, manufacture, marketing, and use of pultruded products, to compile and distribute technical, statistical, and other data of interest to the industry, to cooperate with and represent the Industry before governmental and code bodies, other organizations, and industries for the advancement of the pultrusion industry, to support the development of meaningful design standards for the industry, and to promote pultruded products over traditional materials.
- Thermoset Molders Council – Promote the use and understanding of thermoset molded products into a diverse set of markets. Coordinate the development and promotion of thermoset composite materials and products used in these markets. Undertake proactive activities dealing with education, legislative, regulatory, marketing, and development of standards. Engage government agencies and legislators to influence legislation and identify programs and solicit funding to facilitate the specification of composites technology. Communicate product innovations and successes in the marketplace and to the public in general through trade and consumer press and media.
- Transportation Structures Council – The mission of this committee is to coordinate the development and promotion of composites technology materials and products used in the repair or replacement of transportation structures. The Council: Partners with trade, technical, and professional organizations to identify and reduce barriers to market acceptance; promotes education and awareness of composites technology, and provides leadership in the development of codes and standards; engages government agencies and legislators to identify programs and solicit funding to facilitate the specification of composites technology and demonstration projects; communicates product innovations and successes in the marketplace through trade and consumer press and media.
- Utility & Communications Structures Council - The mission of this committee is to improve power delivery and communications infrastructure by promoting the use and understanding of composite poles and crossarms for electrical distribution, transmission and communication structure applications. Coordinate the development and promotion of composites technology materials and products used in these markets. Undertake proactive activities dealing with education, legislative, regulatory, marketing, and development of codes and standards. Engage government agencies and legislators to influence legislation and identify programs and solicit funding to facilitate the specification of composites technology. Communicate product innovations and successes in the marketplace and to the public in general through trade and consumer press and media.